Salute to the Sea

Salute to the Sea
"Salute to the Sea" by Zvonko Car, 1956, Locals call it "Girl with a Seagull" in Opatija, Croatia

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday



April 22, 2011:  Good Friday.  

I love Spring, I love Easter, I love Jesus. And I love old hymns and newer songs too.  One of my favorites for Good Friday is Ten Thousand Angels by Ray Overholt. 

The chorus says it all:

He could have called ten thousand angels
To destroy the world and set Him free.
He could have called ten thousand angels,
But He died alone, for you and me.

Click on the link below to hear the entire song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbw4aoILXxI

On a not-so-serious note:  In the US, in addition to the special Easter music and the special church services, kids and adults also enjoy colored eggs and candy; lots of candy.  Chocolate bunnies, jelly beans, and marshmallow chicks of all colors.  My favorites are dark chocolate and spicy jelly beans and just one of those little marshmallow chicks would make my Easter basket complete.

When I was a little girl, all the women and girls got new outfits for Easter Sunday.  And I’m not just talking a dress.  This was an entire outfit:  a new dress, new hat, new shoes and new gloves were purchased just for Easter.  To get so many fancy new items of clothing at once was a big deal!  

How times have changed…now everyone just buys whatever they want whenever they want…no more special outfits for Easter.  Never thought I’d miss that…my mother and I had different ideas about what to wear back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews